Manually removing devices
To manually remove a device from the Finder:
- Log in to Finder with administrative rights.
- Type the name of the device in the Search field.
- Right-click the device in the results of the search and select Drill-down.
- Right-click the device listed and select Edit... (or type Ctrl+Alt+E). The Edit device dialog shows up.
- Select the option remove from the list Storage at the bottom of the dialog.
- Click Apply. The device is marked for removal.
The Finder still displays the device until the Engine removes it from the database. During the nightly cleanup, the Engine removes from the database the devices that were not active for the last 24 hours and whose storage policy is set to remove.
Uninstall the Collector from the devices being removed to stop them from sending new activity data to the Engine. Failing to do so results in the Engine not removing the device from the database or, if the device was inactive for more than 24 hours and actually removed from the database, recreating the device in the database as soon as the Engine receives new data from it.
Once the device is tagged as remove the Portal almost immediately frees one license from the pool.
Automatic removal of inactive devices
In case that:
- A device is inactive for more than 90 days. You can adapt that setting. Contact Nexthink Support to adjust the value for the inactivity period.
- There are no events associated to the device left in the database of the Engine.
The Engine purges all the data related to the device and automatically frees one license from the pool.