Installing the Finder
Installing the Finder
Nexthink V5 Finder may be installed using one of the setup programs found in the Web Console. The setup programs can also be downloaded directly from Nexthink product download website (currently support.nexthink.com).
- Connect to the Web Console.
- Go to Engine > Downloads.
- Choose one of the available Finder downloads:
- Nexthink Finder Installer with .NET Framework (Nexthink_Finder.exe): if you are sure that your client computer does not have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 installed, use this download instead of the standalone installer. The size of this download is significantly bigger than the size of the standalone installer.
- Standalone Nexthink Finder installer (Nexthink_Finder.msi): select this option if it is the first time that you install Finder and Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (or .Net Framework 4 for Windows XP) is already installed in your client computer.
- Standalone Nexthink Finder executable (nxfinder.exe): this download is not really a Finder setup program but the Finder executable itself. You can copy nxfinder.exe to the path of your preference in your client computer and launch Finder from there. This requires having installed Finder by means of the MSI installer already once in your computer (otherwise Finder will be functional, but some minor features will be lost). Contrary to the two previous installation methods, this copy method allows you having several versions of Nexthink Finder V5 available in a single client computer at the same time. For normal Finder utilization, we recommend however to use one of the previous installation methods and have just a single version of Finder installed. Use this method only if you know what you are doing.
Installation Procedure with the Standalone Installer
The Finder installation procedure using the MSI package is straightforward:
Launch the installation by double-clicking Nexthink_Finder.msi.
- Read and acknowledge the End-User License Agreement of Nexthink Finder V5.
- Provide a destination location where to install the Finder.
Note: If you do not have Administrator privileges, you have to specify a user-writable directory.
- Confirm the installation by clicking Install. The Finder will be installed and you will be notified when the installation is complete.
Installation Procedure with the .NET Framework 4.5
- Launch the installation program by double-clicking NexthinkFinder.exe.
- Installation of Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 Client Profile starts.
- Once .NET Framework 4.5 is installed, the actual Nexthink Finder V4.5 installation begins.
- Read and accept the license agreement, provide a destination path and click on Install in the same way as explained for the Standalone Installer.
- The setup program informs you when the installation is complete.
Customize the Finder Installer
The msiexec.exe command-line utility provides ways to install the Finder without using the UI of the installer.
For example, the command-line for a silent install of the Finder for all users will be:
msiexec /i NEXThink_Finder.msi ALLUSERS=1 /qn
To see all options, use msiexec –help.
Nexthink Engine Compatibility
Engine and Finder must be compatible with each other so they can establish communication. Please refer to the Release Notes to verify that your particular version of Finder is compatible with your current Engine. If your copy of Finder is not compatible with the Engine that you are trying to connect to, Finder detects the situation and offers you the possibility to download a compatible release of Finder from a given link.
The copy of Nexthink Finder V5 that you receive with the installation DVD of Nexthink V5 and that you can download from Console is, of course, guaranteed to be compatible with the Engine that is shipped in the same DVD. In case of incompatibility problems with other versions of Finder, you can always switch back to the copy included in the DVD.
Manually adding the default Nexthink certificate
Upon the first execution, Nexthink Finder will try to import the default Engine certificate used to establish a SSL connection. During the import, the Windows operating system displays a confirmation dialog that must be accepted by the user.
In some situation the automatic import might fail preventing Finder from connecting to Engines. This situation can be solved by manually importing the certificate in Nexthink Finder:
- Start > Run… > certmgr.msc.
- Select in the tree Trusted Root Certification Authority > Right-Click > All Tasks > Import.
- The Certificate Import Wizard starts. Click Next.
- In the File To Import Wizard, click on the Browse... button, chose to display All Files (*.*) and select nxfinder.exe located in one of the following locations (depending on the way Finder was installed):
- C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Apps\Nexthink Finder\nxfinder.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Nexthink Finder\nxfinder.exe
- C:\Program Files\Nexthink Finder\nxfinder.exe
- Click Next.
- In the dialog Place all certificates in the following store, click the Browse button.
- Tick the box Show physical stores, and select Trusted Root Certificate Authority\Local computer.
- Click Next and Finish.