Updating the Finder
Updating the Finder
Whenever you connect the Finder to an Engine, the Finder itself detects if there is a new available version of the Finder that is compatible with the connected Engine. After a major update of the Engine, it might even happen that the current Finder is no longer able to connect to the new Engine, because of incompatibilities between versions. In any case, the Finder notifies the availability of a new update with a pop up dialog at the moment of establishing the connection to the Engine. The dialog includes an appropriate message and two links: one link points to the release notes and the other link to the installer file (MSI) of the new version of Finder.
To update the Finder:
- Log in to the Finder with your own account and try to connect to an Engine. If a new update is ready for download, a dialog shows up.
- Optional: Click the link Click here to find out what's new... to read the release notes of the new version.
- Click the link Click here to upgrade... to start the update procedure. This opens the Finder downloads page in your default web browser.
- Choose the appropriate version of the Finder for your computer (32 or 64-bit):
- Click the exe installer if you also need to install the .NET Framework 4.5.
- Click the MSI installer if you already have the .NET Framework 4.5 installed.
- In case of doubt, download the MSI. If the Finder does not start because you do not have the .NET Framework 4.5 installed in your computer, download and install the .NET Framework 4.5 later.
- Save the installer file to your disk.
- Optional: Uninstall the current version of the Finder from your Windows system. If you omit this step, running the new installer removes the old version anyway.
- Run the MSI file to install the new version of the Finder.
- Follow the steps in the installation wizard.
If the update is not strictly necessary, because the currently installed Finder is still compatible with the Engine to which you are connecting, you can click one the following buttons to continue working without doing the update:
- Remind me later, to display the dialog again the next time that you try to connnect to the Engine.
- Do not show again, to prevent the update dialog from showing up.
In the case that you choose not to go on with the update, you can still bring back the dialog from the main help menu of the Finder:
- Click the question mark at the top-right corner of the Finder window.
- Select Upgrade Nexthink Finder... and the update dialog shows up again.