Creating a score
Creating a score
Scores are described in the form of XML files. To create a new score, either:
- Use the Nexthink Scores Creator tool from your web browser (recommended).
- Directly write the XML of the score with your favorite text editor or with a specialized XML editor to define a new score and import it into the solution.
Contact Nexthink Customer Success Services to help you build your own scores or fine-tune the available scores to suit your needs. Check the Nexthink Library for the latest published packs that include scores.
A score definition holds the detailed description of either one composite score or one leaf score in a single XML file. Note however that a composite score usually comprises several subscores. Therefore, in practice, XML files that hold the definition of a composite score contain in fact the definition of all the subscores on which the main composite score depends.
To write a new score or update an existing score:
- Open the Nexthink Scores Creator tool from your web browser:
- If you want to write a new score, click the button Start a new score at the top of the window.
- If you want to modify an existing score, click the button Load score... and choose the XML file to upload.
- Optional: Click Settings to configure the Web API settings of a reachable Engine.
- Engine IP: Type in the address of the engine.
- Port: Type in the port number of the Web API in the Engine.
- Version: Select the product version to generate a compatible score definition.
- The Engine settings let you test the scope and NXQL queries used in your scores thanks to the buttons:
- PREVIEW SCOPE
- PREVIEW QUERY.
- Fill in the forms for the main score and the subscores.
- Click Save score... to save your score as an XML file.
- If any error is detected in your score, a warning message shows up before saving the file.
Alternatively, if you are fluent in XML or want to make a quick local change to one of your scores from your computer:
- Open your favorite text editor or specialized XML editor.
- Write the definition of the score in an XML file, according to the XML schema of scores.
- Save the XML file.
Once you have the XML file with the contents of your score:
- Open the Finder as a user with the right to edit scores (the profile of the user must allow system configuration).
- Select the Scores section on the left-hand side panel of the main window.
- Right-click the header of the Scores section or the empty area below it.
- Select Import > Scores from file... from the menu.
- In the dialog, choose the XML file that holds the definition of your score.
- Click Open to import the score.
Limit on the number of scores
There are two limiting factors that put a constraint in the maximum number of scores that can be defined:
- Storage: 500 scores in total (either composite or leaf scores, including subscores in the count).
- Computation power: 50 leaf scores of the Computation input type. Be careful if you use complex NXQL queries with except, union, or intersect in leaf scores, since they might sensibly increase the computation power needed.
If you need to go over these limits, contact Nexthink Customer Success Services for an evaluation of your setup and a configuration customization.
If you need help or assistance, please contact your Nexthink Certified Partner.