Analyzing service quality
Analyzing service quality
Today, companies strongly depend on a set of IT Services to carry out their daily work. Although the particular set of deployed IT services may vary from one company to another, the correct functioning of services is vital for the day-to-day business of every organization.
With Nexthink, define the IT services that you want to survey by specifying their characteristic resources and see how well those IT services perform inside your corporate network. Thanks to the user-centered approach of Nexthink, you get a glimpse on the quality of the service as it is perceived by the end-users. See in real-time the status of a service and find out who are the impacted users when the service degrades. In the case of service degradation, Nexthink may help you determine where the problem lies. For long term analysis, follow the evolution of the service throughout extended time intervals.
Nexthink divides IT services into two types:
- Connection-based services
- Services that rely on TCP connections for providing their solutions to the users. Both Windows and Mac devices report information on connection-based services.
- Web-based services
- Web sites or web applications that use the HTTP protocol or its encrypted variant with TLS (HTTPS) to provide a service to their users. Web-based services also rely on TCP for transport, but defining the service at the HTTP level lets you filter the service by the accessed web domains or URLs. For the moment, only Windows devices report information specific to web-based services.
The type of service determines the exact metrics that are used to measure its performance. The set of metrics is nevertheless very similar for both connection-based and web-based services. Most of the metrics are shared or serve a similar purpose in both types of services. See below a list of all the metrics where the shared metrics are emphasized:
|Connection-based service metrics||Web-based service metrics|
Analyzing services in the Finder and the Portal
To analyze service quality, Nexthink offers you two possibilities:
- The Service View in the Finder
- The Service View provides you with a real-time view of the service, including the values of the service metrics for the last 60 minutes and the last 24 hours. Break-down results according to entities and, if Cross-Engine features are enabled in the Finder, according to the nodes in your hierarchies. Drill-down to individual connections or devices, and quickly switch to the Network or Web views directly from the Service View.
- The service dashboards in the Portal
- Service modules summarize the status of your services in a special overview dashboard. Moreover, for each individual service in the module, a detailed service dashboard provides you with a full view of the service key metrics through a comprehensive set of widgets. In addition to a real-time view for the last 60 minutes and the last 24 hours, the Portal lets you select longer periods of time to see historical values and trends in your service-related data.